So, here is something we missed when we initially looked at the new Galaxy Note; when we had another look at the official mini-site we noticed that Samsung has included support for GLONASS in addition to GPS.
GLONASS is a radio-based satellite navigation system, the Russian equivalent to the U.S.’s GPS. GLONASS was initiated during Soviet Union times but had then fallen into disrepair, it has since then been upgraded in various stages and can now begin to rival GPS — GLONASS is actually more accurate than GPS in northern latitudes because of the positioning of its satellites.
The biggest benefits, however, come when you combine both systems together, GLONASS and GPS; this allows a device to get more accurate positioning and/or faster fix, particularly in deep urban environments. This is because you suddenly have access to the US GPS 31 satellites and the Russian GLONASS 24 satellites for a total of 55 active satellites.
Below is a test that was ran showing the improvement in accuracy by using both systems together:
Now, the specifications for the Galaxy Note mention “A-GPS, Glonass”, so there is good possibility that Samsung can enable the device to use both, for better positioning. Well, we shall see soon, when the Note finally lands later this year.
- May 03 2012 Samsung Galaxy S III official: 4.8-inch 720p Super AMOLED PenTile display, 1.4GHz quad-core Exynos
- Jan 30 2012 Samsung Galaxy Note on AT&T release date and price confirmed
- Jan 21 2012 Sony enables GLONASS on a bunch of Xperia handsets for faster and better location fix
- Jan 16 2012 Rumor: Samsung Galaxy Note could be heading to Verizon and Sprint as the Galaxy Journal
- Jan 13 2012 Sony Xperia S Android handset gets UK pricing and March 5 release date
- Jan 08 2012 Samsung Galaxy Note coming to the US, now a sure thing
- Dec 29 2011 1 million Samsung Galaxy Note devices shipped, US release in 2012
- Nov 03 2011 How to: Root the Samsung Galaxy Note and install ClockworkMod recovery
- Oct 28 2011 You can watch the entire Samsung Galaxy Note and Galaxy Nexus event now here (video)
- Oct 27 2011 Samsung Galaxy Note now available in Europe, you can order today from Germany
- Oct 18 2011 Motorola Droid RAZR announced, coming November to everyone around the globe, U.S. for $299 on Verizon (specifications, pictures)
- Sep 10 2011 Drawing on the Samsung Galaxy Note using the S Pen stylus (video)
- Sep 06 2011 Samsung Galaxy Note 5.3-inch smartphone benchmarked, deemed worthy (video)
- Sep 01 2011 Samsung announces Galaxy Note: HD 5.3-inch Super AMOLED screen and built-in stylus