We can’t deny that the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds (MFT) digital camera stole our hearts. However the big question in our minds has been on how the camera would perform at low light and/or high ISO. Typically, Micro Four Thirds cameras have lagged other mirrorless cameras with larger sensors, like Sony’s NEX series, in this regard.
We’re still far off from the April ship date of the Olympus E-M5, so we can’t yet test the low light and high ISO performance on a production unit, however a number of high ISO shots taken with a pre-production model have been doing the rounds.
The set of shots below were posted at omuser and are JPEGs straight from the camera taken at f/1.8. Obviously these only offer a very rough indication of how the final production camera might actually perform. JPEGs are also treated with in-camera noise-reduction so would not be the best indication of sensor noise; you would want to shoot RAW to get the full benefit of the E-M5’s 16-megapixel sensor.
Below we’ve included a shot taken at ISO 3,200 and its crop — click to enlarge. We would consider based on this that ISO 3,200 would be completely usable, which is impressive for a MFT camera. We’ve also included a pair of ISO 6,400 shots. You can find the full set of test pictures from ISO 200 to 25,600 over at omuser.
- May 02 2012 The Olympus OM-D E-M5 is here: first impressions
- Apr 02 2012 PSA: Olympus OM-D E-M5 shipping date delayed until April 23 in the UK
- Apr 01 2012 First unboxing photos of the Olympus OM-D E-M5 MFT camera
- Mar 26 2012 Olympus OM-D E-M5 going for a dive, PT-E08 underwater housing to be released July 2012
- Feb 24 2012 PSA: Olympus OM-D E-M5 now up for pre-order from Amazon UK with free battery grip; shipping April 1st
- Feb 22 2012 Gadget lust: five new official videos on the Olympus OM-D E-M5
- Feb 20 2012 Olympus E-M5 destroys the PEN E-P3 in high-ISO tests
- Feb 18 2012 Olympus OM-D E-M5 size comparison to the Sony NEX-7, Panasonic GX1 and Fujifilm X-Pro1
- Feb 09 2012 Olympus E-M5 vs. Fujifilm X-Pro1 vs. Panasonic GX1 vs. Sony NEX-7 comparison
- Feb 08 2012 Olympus OM-D E-M5 weather-sealed Micro Four Thirds camera announced for $999.99 (specs, pictures, video)
- Feb 04 2012 Full image of the Olympus OM-D E-M5, Amazon Japan listing points to March 30th release date