Apple follows a once a year update cycle for most of its main products. The company has, like clockwork, updated the iPhone and the iPad every year since their release, personal computers like the MacBook Air, have also enjoyed regular yearly updates.
We’ve been hearing of the iPad 3 for quite a while now, as with many Apple products, rumors started practically as soon as the current generation iPad 2 hit the market. However, now we’re seemingly getting close to the actual announcement of the iPad 3 that should come within the next few weeks. Initially we reported on the possibility of an Apple event this month, now the word on the street is that Apple may hold a new iPad event on the first week of March.
If you were planning on grabbing an iPad 2 right now, you’d be advised to hold off your purchase. Newer is always better in this case; we’ve already reported numerous times on the rumored and specs of the iPad 3. The new tablet will be very similar to the iPad 2 in terms of design and form factor, but will sport a new 2048 x 1536 resolution ‘retina display’ and have a faster processor and graphics unit. Following the announcement of the iPad 3 it is also very probable that the iPad 2 would sell at a lower price.
You can check out our entire coverage so far in the timeline below.
- Sep 10 2012 Pogo Connect is a pressure sensitive Bluetooth 4.0 stylus for the iPad 3 and iPad mini
- May 20 2012 Retina iPad 3 & iPad 4 (2012) case review: Yoobao leather case
- Apr 18 2012 Display shootout: HTC One X vs. Galaxy Nexus (vs. iPad 3) screen comparison
- Apr 02 2012 New 3rd generation iPad customer satisfaction at an all time high, excessive heat not an issue according to survey
- Apr 01 2012 Public jailbreak for A5 and A5X devices (i.e. iPad 3) running iOS 5.1 still some time away
- Mar 24 2012 Your new iPad is begging for these geometric retina display optimized wallpapers
- Mar 19 2012 If you drop it, it will break; the new iPad's screen that is
- Mar 17 2012 iPad 3 receives untethered jailbreak and Cydia install on its first day out
- Mar 16 2012 No, Apple didn't make a battery tech breakthrough in the iPad 3; it just stuck more of it inside
- Mar 13 2012 Apple's new iPad (a.k.a. iPad 3) packing 1GB of RAM and 1GHz processor, gets early unboxing and benchmark
- Mar 10 2012 The 3rd generation iPad is the first tablet with Bluetooth 4.0, what's in it for you
- Mar 08 2012 iPad 2 vs. 3rd generation iPad 3 comparison