It’s no secret that the folks at ASUS are quick on the draw when it comes to Android updates. ASUS was one of the first to show us Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich running on a tablet with the Transformer Prime. ASUS has also been the first to update its tablet line to Android 4.0, while other companies are still straggling with their own updates.
In getting updates to devices, it doesn’t hurt that ASUS goes easy on its customization of stock Android when other manufacturers need time to adapt their heavy skins. In a recent statement, ASUS’ Benson Lin reiterated the company’s commitment to keeping up with this good record and committed to being one of the first to bring Android 5.0 to devices:
Asus is very close to Google, so once they have Android 5.0 I think there will be a high possibility that we will be the first wave to offer the Jelly Bean update.
Now Google hasn’t officially disclosed the codename for Android 5.0, and this is the first time we hear the Jelly Bean codename from an official mouth, even if not directly from Google. As we’ve covered previously, Google assigns desert-themed codenames to major Android releases in alphabetical order. We’ve had Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb and now Ice Cream Sandwich for Android 4.0. Jelly Bean for Android 5.0 has been in the rumor mill for a while now and we could be seeing its release as early as this fall.
- Oct 14 2012 Asus 4.7-inch Padfone 2 demoed in video with new slimmer tablet dock
- Oct 11 2012 Upcoming Google Nexus 4 smartphone by LG poses for camera in leaked pics
- Sep 09 2012 Tweaked HTC One X+ leaks: 1.6GHz quad-core Tegra 3 AP37, Sense 4.5 and Jelly Bean
- Jun 27 2012 7-inch Google Nexus 7 tablet announced: quad-core Tegra 3 with 12-core GPU, 720p resolution for $199
- Jun 27 2012 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean official, here's what's new
- Jun 26 2012 You can watch the Google I/O 2012 keynote and the introduction of Android 4.1 Jellybean live right here
- Jun 26 2012 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean mascot takes its place on Google's Mountain View lawn
- Jun 11 2012 Google Nexus 7 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean tablet confirmed by ASUS representative for June
- May 12 2012 The ultimate unboxing video: ASUS PadFone 3-in-1
- Jan 10 2012 Asus and NVIDIA announce 7-inch Tegra 3 quad-core tablet with Ice Cream Sandwich for $249
- Jan 03 2012 ASUS Transformer Prime to receive update to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich on 12 January