There was much hope that a jailbreak for A5 and A5X devices, that’s the iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and the 3rd generation iPad, running iOS 5.1 would materialize soon after the new iPad’s release. After all, just a few hours following the official release of the new iPad three different jailbreak methods were demonstrated and confirmed.
Two weeks later and there haven’t been any updates on a public release of a jailbreak yet. Now it would seem that we might still be weeks away from a usable public jailbreak for iOS 5.1 and that’s unfortunate news for new iPad (3) owners itching to install Cydia and 3rd party apps on their retina-touting tablet.
Pod2g from the Chronic Dev Team has tweeted that the team has some pieces of a very tasty userland untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1 on A5 and A5X devices but they are missing other pieces and are weeks away from a potential public-ready tool. Bear in mind that it was Chronic Dev with Stefan Esser (a.k.a. i0n1c) who showed one of the three iPad jailbreaks two weeks ago.
Here’s what pod2g wrote on Twitter:
About 5.1 jailbreak for A5+ devices : it’s not out and I have no clue when it’ll happen. I’m working some hours per week on finding vulns.
But right now we (cdev) have some pieces of a userland jailbreak, but we miss some, and even if we had them all, there’s weeks of work…
… to put them all together in a public ready tool.
So if you’ve been itching for a jailbreak on your new iPad you can stay with the hope that at least iOS developers are hard at work in liberating your tablet.
- Sep 10 2012 Pogo Connect is a pressure sensitive Bluetooth 4.0 stylus for the iPad 3 and iPad mini
- May 20 2012 Retina iPad 3 & iPad 4 (2012) case review: Yoobao leather case
- Apr 18 2012 Display shootout: HTC One X vs. Galaxy Nexus (vs. iPad 3) screen comparison
- Apr 02 2012 New 3rd generation iPad customer satisfaction at an all time high, excessive heat not an issue according to survey
- Mar 24 2012 Your new iPad is begging for these geometric retina display optimized wallpapers
- Mar 19 2012 If you drop it, it will break; the new iPad's screen that is
- Mar 17 2012 iPad 3 receives untethered jailbreak and Cydia install on its first day out
- Mar 16 2012 No, Apple didn't make a battery tech breakthrough in the iPad 3; it just stuck more of it inside
- Mar 15 2012 The new iPad goes under the scalpel, teardown reveals Samsung retina LCD
- Mar 13 2012 Apple's new iPad (a.k.a. iPad 3) packing 1GB of RAM and 1GHz processor, gets early unboxing and benchmark
- Mar 10 2012 The 3rd generation iPad is the first tablet with Bluetooth 4.0, what's in it for you