GSM/HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus devices have been gradually receiving an over the air (OTA) update to the latest version of Android Ice Cream Sandwich, 4.0.4. However, many users are still waiting on the official OTA update from Google and pressing the ‘Check now’ button in system updates on their Galaxy Nexus devices doesn’t help much.
To get the update immediately, one way is to root your device and manually install the latest version of Android. But if you don’t have a rooted device and don’t wanna go through the hassle and risk losing your data, there’s is an easy way to get your device to automatically update now.
First, you might want to check that your Galaxy Nexus device is receiving updates directly from Google or not. If it’s not, then following the steps below won’t really help. To do this, download the small checker app from Google Play here. Once confirmed, follow the steps and note you might need to repeat them multiple times until you get the update:
- Go to Settings and then Device > Apps.
- Tap the ‘ALL’ tab, scroll down to ‘Google Services Framework’ and open it.
- Now hit the ‘Clear data’ button.
- Go back to the main Settings page and this time go to System > About phone and then ‘System updates’.
- You’ll probably see a weird date along the lines of 1970, this is normal.
- Hit the ‘Check now’ button.
- If you are told that the 4.0.4 update is available hit download and then install, else repeat the process from bullet number 1.
So here it is, again note that it’s unpredictable on which attempt you will get the software update so a bit of patience is needed. We’ve got the update on two different Galaxy Nexus devices after 4-6 tries.
Let us know of your experience in the comments below and be sure to read our full review of the Galaxy Nexus here.
- Apr 22 2012 GSM Galaxy Nexus IMM76I Android 4.0.4 update may fix your connectivity woes, here's how to get it now
- Apr 18 2012 Display shootout: HTC One X vs. Galaxy Nexus (vs. iPad 3) screen comparison
- Mar 28 2012 Android 4.0.4 source heading to Android Open-Source Project carrying a few hundred changes
- Feb 19 2012 Galaxy Nexus case review: Case-Mate POP!
- Feb 16 2012 Samsung discontinues 32GB Galaxy Nexus GSM version before it was ever even released
- Feb 06 2012 White Samsung Galaxy Nexus coming to the UK starting February 13th
- Feb 05 2012 Android 4.0.4 IMM30B update for LTE Verizon Galaxy Nexus leaks early, brings fixes
- Jan 23 2012 Galaxy Nexus case review: OtterBox Defender series case
- Jan 21 2012 How to: easily backup, unlock, root, unroot and re-lock a Samsung Galaxy Nexus
- Jan 16 2012 Random reboots continue to plague the Galaxy Nexus, how about yours?
- Jan 14 2012 GSM Galaxy Nexus updated to Android 4.0.2; we test: some fixes, many bugs still remain
- Jan 06 2012 I broke the Galaxy Nexus screen
- Jan 05 2012 Samsung Galaxy Nexus to become Sprint's first 4G LTE handset
- Jan 05 2012 White Samsung Galaxy Nexus coming in February to the UK
- Dec 18 2011 How to: easily install Google Wallet on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus LTE with an APK file