We love using our gadgets, you know when they are actually fully assembled and functioning, but we also have a bizarre affinity to watching them get torn down into dozens of separate parts giving us a glimpse of what’s inside.
The latest device to have received the teardown treatment is none other than the hero smartphone of the moment, the Samsung Galaxy S III. As usual the good folks over at iFixit did the slicing and dicing, which has revealed a number of tasty bites.
First off, the Galaxy S III is surprisingly easy to open, with a number of standard Phillips screws holding it together. Inside you will find the motherboard assembly, the 4.8-inch PenTile Matrix Super AMOLED display (be sure to check out our comparison between PenTile Matrix Super AMOLED and standard RGB LCD display technologies) that is optically laminated to the Gorilla Glass 2 fortified glass and the 8-megapixel rear camera assembly.
You might want to know that for the camera, Samsung has opted for a Sony backside-illuminated CMOS sensor, similar to the one used in the iPhone 4S and Xperia Arc.
Other parts include:
- Samsung Exynos 4412 quad-core A9 SoC with 1 GB LP DDR2 Green Memory (K3PE7E700M-XGC2)
- Murata M2322007 WiFi Module
- Samsung KMVTU000LM eMMC(16GB)+MDDR(64MB) NAND Flash
- Intel Wireless PMB9811X Gold Baseband processor
- Broadcom BCM47511 Integrated Monolithic GNSS Receiver
- Wolfson Microelectronics WM1811 stereo codec
- Skyworks SKY77604 Multi-Band Power amplifier
- Silicon Image 9244 low-power MHL Transmitter
- NXP PN544 NFC Chip
- Infineon PMB5712 RF transceiver
Now we’re certainly impressed.
- May 16 2012 An Italian confronts the Galaxy S III: first unboxing and hands-on video
- May 03 2012 Samsung Galaxy S III hands-on video; four minutes of gadget lust
- May 03 2012 Samsung Galaxy S III official: 4.8-inch 720p Super AMOLED PenTile display, 1.4GHz quad-core Exynos
- May 03 2012 PSA: the Samsung Galaxy S III is being announced today, here's how to watch the event live
- Apr 27 2012 New leaked Galaxy S3 photo and manual collaborate to Galaxy Nexus-style device with home button
- Apr 25 2012 Samsung Galaxy S III turns up in benchmark with dual-core Exynos 4212 SoC besting the best of Android
- Apr 22 2012 Samsung Galaxy S III rumors weekend overview: hands-on video, specs and did Amazon Germany spill the beans?
- Apr 16 2012 Samsung sends invites for May 3rd event in London to unveil next Galaxy smartphone
- Apr 05 2012 Samsung Galaxy S III appears like a silver bullet slashing through the air, could sport a non-PenTile Super AMOLED Plus HD display
- Feb 06 2012 Samsung Galaxy S III to launch May and be 7mm thick say 'industry sources'
- Feb 01 2012 Samsung Galaxy S III will come before June, no MWC announcement