Out of all the cloud storage music services, Apple’s iCloud is by far our favorite and this is mainly because of iTunes Match. Uploading and syncing even a moderately sized music library is generally a hassle, and I gave up on uploading mine to Google Music half-way, I only keep around 500 songs there.
Instead, with iTunes Match all your music becomes immediately available in iCloud as long as it has been matched to music on Apple’s servers. In addition your cloud copies are available in higher definition 256kbps AAC format irrespective of the quality of your local files and we’ve even showed you how you can easily upgrade all your local music using iTunes Match here.
Our single biggest annoyance with iCloud and iTunes Match has been that in order to listen to your cloud-stored music on an iOS device, i.e. iPad, iPhone etc., the song would first have to fully download to your device and then played. This meant a delay between selecting a track and actually listening to it, and it also filled up your device’s storage with the downloaded files.
Well one of the new features in iOS 6, and one that had generally slipped by, is the ability to now actually stream music directly from iCloud.
The new feature is already present in iOS 6 beta and selecting a track means that it starts streaming and immediately playing. You can also select to download tracks individually as a separate option for offline listening.
- Jun 12 2012 WWDC 2012 highlights: All the new Apple hardware, Mountain Lion and iOS 6 in 80 seconds (video)
- Jun 10 2012 iOS 6 beta developer links surface pointing to dropped support for the original iPad
- Jun 09 2012 WWDC 2012: iOS 6 revealed by signage, OS X Mountain Lion, and even new Mac computer hardware
- May 01 2012 How to upgrade your music to 256kbps AAC DRM-free quality with iTunes Match
- Nov 15 2011 What do all the new cloud icons in iTunes mean about iTunes Match and your iCloud library and how-to troubleshoot errors
- Nov 14 2011 iTunes Match is finally here, access your music from the cloud in high quality, US only for now
- Oct 11 2011 iTunes 10.5 up for download, becomes part of iCloud, paves the way for iOS 5 and iTunes Match