It’s pretty hard to hold back on our love for the Fujifilm X100. The compact mirrorless APS-C shooter received a glowing review from us and was one of our favorite pieces of tech for 2011. This is no small part because of its innovative hybrid viewfinder, traditional control layout and awesome image quality. In fact, the shooting with the X100 was the most fun we’ve had in a while with a digital camera.
Well it seems that Fujifilm might be getting ready for a successor of this popular camera, if this product page on Crutchfield is to be believed. The vendor has marked the X100 as discontinued. As if that’s not enough evidence, the X100 has received a pretty remarkable $200 price drop on Amazon, B&H and Adorama coming down to $999.
With Photokina 2012 just around the corner, running between September 18 to 23, we might just guess that Fujifilm is making way for the X200. Just as a reminder, the X100 was announced almost two years ago at Photokina 2010, although the camera was only made available in the Spring of 2011 in limited quantities.
There is not much in the way of potential specs for the X100’s successor, but it would be pretty exciting to see what Fujifilm can pull out of its sleeve this time. Personally I’m betting on the X-Pro1’s new X-Trans CMOS sensor without a low-pass filter finding its way into the X200 or whatever it will be called.
Besides an X100 successor, we might also be looking at more goodies from Fujifilm. Most likely we will be seeing at least one more X-mount body joining the X-Pro1 together with the official unveiling of the 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 optically stabilized and 14mm f/2.8 prime lenses for the system.
UPDATE: No X100 successor this year, Fuji has announced the X-E1, an X-mount interchangeable lens camera. The X100 remains the compact king in Fuji’s line-up.
- Sep 09 2012 Panasonic GH3 Micro Four Thirds camera specs leak
- May 20 2012 The Fujfilm X100 is beautiful on the inside too
- May 15 2012 Fujifilm announces 28mm equivalent wide angle conversion lens and v1.30 firmware for X100
- Apr 15 2012 Manfrotto Nano VI and VII camera pouch review: budget, stylish protection for your mirrorless camera
- Mar 23 2012 Fujifilm X100 v1.20 firmware update brings control refinements and AF improvements
- Mar 09 2012 Fujifilm X100 Black Limited Edition shipping now for $1,699.95
- Mar 05 2012 Fujifilm FinePix X100 digital camera real world review
- Feb 19 2012 Your Fujifilm X100 overexposes images? How to check for the sticky aperture blade issue (video)
- Feb 09 2012 Fujifilm X10 v1.03 firmware update released, brings a bunch of improvements
- Jan 31 2012 Fujifilm sold 100,000 X100 cameras in nine months
- Dec 27 2011 Our favorite gadgets from 2011