Fujifilm has just eliminated one reason why we would want to upgrade to the X-Pro1 from the X100 — you can read our in-depth real world review of the latter right here. The camera maker has just announced a new wide angle conversion lens for the Fujifilm X100.
The WCL-X100 conversion lens attaches directly onto the X100 and effectively multiplies the camera’s focal length by a factor of 0.8, converting it from a 23mm (35mm equivalent) focal length to a 19mm wide angle (28mm equivalent).
The wide angle conversion lens is made of four glass elements in three groups and Fujifilm promises comparable image quality as the X100’s excellent fixed lens element. Fujifilm also mentions that the WCL-X100 will have no negative effect on autofocus speed, the X100’s 10cm macro capability and the hybrid viewfinder.
In order to use the WCL-X100 you will first have to update your X100 to the just released v1.30 firmware that you can get here, which also fixes two operational bugs. After attaching the wide angle conversion lens you will need to enable the relevant option within the camera’s menu; the X100 will then automatically apply corrections for image distortion, vignetting and chromatic aberration.
Unfortunately the flexibility provided by this accessory doesn’t come cheap. The WCL-X100 is said to retail for $350 this coming June. It will come in both silver and black to match the X100 Black Limited Edition.
Update: You can now pre-order the WCL-X100 from Adorama here.
- Fujifilm X100 discontinued, making way for the X200?
- The Fujfilm X100 is beautiful on the inside too
- Fujifilm announces 28mm equivalent wide angle conversion lens and v1.30 firmware for X100
- Manfrotto Nano VI and VII camera pouch review: budget, stylish protection for your mirrorless camera
- Fujifilm X100 v1.20 firmware update brings control refinements and AF improvements
- Fujifilm X100 Black Limited Edition shipping now for $1,699.95
- Fujifilm FinePix X100 digital camera real world review
- Your Fujifilm X100 overexposes images? How to check for the sticky aperture blade issue (video)
- Fujifilm X10 v1.03 firmware update released, brings a bunch of improvements
- Fujifilm sold 100,000 X100 cameras in nine months
- Panasonic GX1 vs. Sony NEX-7 vs. Fujifilm X100 vs. Olympus E-P3 comparison
- Fujifilm X100 startup time and SD card write speed tests; how to make the X100 faster
- Fuji updates FinePix X100 to v1.11 with better macro auto-focus and fixes
- Sony Alpha A77 vs. A65 vs. NEX-7 vs. Fujifilm Finepix X100 comparison
- Sony NEX-7 vs. Fujifilm X100 vs. Olympus E-P3 vs. Panasonic DMC-GF3
- Fujifilm FinePix X50 to be the smaller and more affordable zoom brother to the X100 camera
- Fujifilm FinePix X100 gets firmware update to v1.10