The guys at iFixit are really committed to what they do, and what they do is dissect all your favorite gadgets piece by piece and document every step of the way. Well, the 3rd generation iPad may not be out yet but the iFixit crew managed to grab one from a store in Australia and promptly brought it in for surgery.
First task was to separate the new stunning retina display from the rest of the iPad’s body and here we get the first revelation. The screen is probably made by Samsung rather than LG as it was initially rumored.
The model number on the back of the LCD is LTN097QL01-A02, following a similar naming scheme to other Samsung LCDs, e.g. the 9.7-inch 1024×768 LTN097XL01-A01.
Besides the screen’s maker, not too many surprises inside the new iPad. There’s a new Broadcom BCM4330 chip providing 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity that also features an FM transceiver. A Qualcomm MDM9600 brings 3G and 4G connectivity to 4G enabled iPad’s. We’ve also caught a glimpse of the new A5X chip with 1GHz dual-core CPU and a quad-core PowerVR SGX MP4+ GPU.
You can also see the new immense 43Whr 11,560mAh battery, made up of three 14.6Whr cells, that will be powering the beautiful 9.7-inch 2048×1536 resolution display.
Apple will open its stores at 8AM Friday morning for the 3rd generation iPad launch, while pre-orderers should keep an eye out for the delivery truck.
- May 20 2012 Retina iPad 3 & iPad 4 (2012) case review: Yoobao leather case
- Apr 18 2012 Display shootout: HTC One X vs. Galaxy Nexus (vs. iPad 3) screen comparison
- Apr 02 2012 New 3rd generation iPad customer satisfaction at an all time high, excessive heat not an issue according to survey
- Apr 01 2012 Public jailbreak for A5 and A5X devices (i.e. iPad 3) running iOS 5.1 still some time away
- Mar 24 2012 Your new iPad is begging for these geometric retina display optimized wallpapers
- Mar 17 2012 iPad 3 receives untethered jailbreak and Cydia install on its first day out
- Mar 16 2012 No, Apple didn't make a battery tech breakthrough in the iPad 3; it just stuck more of it inside
- Mar 13 2012 Apple's new iPad (a.k.a. iPad 3) packing 1GB of RAM and 1GHz processor, gets early unboxing and benchmark
- Mar 10 2012 The 3rd generation iPad is the first tablet with Bluetooth 4.0, what's in it for you
- Mar 08 2012 iPad 2 vs. 3rd generation iPad 3 comparison
- Mar 07 2012 The new iPad is here: retina display, A5X with quad-core graphics, better cameras and 4G LTE