You had been warned to hold off any iPad purchases until further notice. So finally we have confirmation on the official announcement for Apple’s next generation tablet, the iPad 3. Apple has been sending out invites for an event at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco on Wednesday 7th of March at 10am PST (1pm EST or 6pm GMT).
The invite shows a finger touching, a pretty sharp, iPad screen. The tagline reads
We have something you really have to see. And touch. It’s been widely rumored that the iPad 3 will feature an extremely high resolution “retina” display effectively quadrupling the iPad 2’s effective pixels. The iPad 3 resolution is said to be 2048×1536 against the iPad 2’s 1024×768, which would really be a sight.
Now we’re pretty interested in the last part of the tagline. We already know touch, so could Apple be eluding to something new in the iPad 3, like let’s say, advanced haptic feedback. We already know that Apple has been doing its own research on giving users better haptic feedback on touchscreens to improve tactile experience. Tactile feedback improves typing experience on a touchscreen by emulating the feeling of typing on a keyboard and giving the user physical confirmation, it also provides a much more immersive gaming experience.
We’ve also seen the Vivitouch that can be mounted behind a touchscreen and offer better tactile feedback while typing or gaming without cost on thinness or battery life. Obviously most of this is wishful thinking on our part, but we can certainly hope. Oh, you might also notice that the iPad in the picture above has lost its center physical home button.
Besides a better screen, we expect the iPad 3 to have a faster processor and, obviously, better graphics unit, if it’s going to be able to push all those pixels. We also expect the iPhone 4S‘s improved camera to find its way into the new tablet. As usual, you’ll find all of our coverage on the iPad 3 in the timeline below.
- Sep 10 2012 Pogo Connect is a pressure sensitive Bluetooth 4.0 stylus for the iPad 3 and iPad mini
- May 20 2012 Retina iPad 3 & iPad 4 (2012) case review: Yoobao leather case
- Apr 18 2012 Display shootout: HTC One X vs. Galaxy Nexus (vs. iPad 3) screen comparison
- Apr 02 2012 New 3rd generation iPad customer satisfaction at an all time high, excessive heat not an issue according to survey
- Apr 01 2012 Public jailbreak for A5 and A5X devices (i.e. iPad 3) running iOS 5.1 still some time away
- Mar 24 2012 Your new iPad is begging for these geometric retina display optimized wallpapers
- Mar 19 2012 If you drop it, it will break; the new iPad's screen that is
- Mar 17 2012 iPad 3 receives untethered jailbreak and Cydia install on its first day out
- Mar 16 2012 No, Apple didn't make a battery tech breakthrough in the iPad 3; it just stuck more of it inside
- Mar 13 2012 Apple's new iPad (a.k.a. iPad 3) packing 1GB of RAM and 1GHz processor, gets early unboxing and benchmark
- Mar 10 2012 The 3rd generation iPad is the first tablet with Bluetooth 4.0, what's in it for you
- Mar 08 2012 iPad 2 vs. 3rd generation iPad 3 comparison
- Mar 07 2012 The new iPad is here: retina display, A5X with quad-core graphics, better cameras and 4G LTE
- Mar 07 2012 Rumor: the iPad HD will feature advanced haptic feedback technology from Senseg that touches you back
- Mar 02 2012 Apple's next iPad could be called iPad HD instead of iPad 3